Ohio State faculty and staff attended a conference hosted by Ohio State’s Global One Health initiative, the Ethiopian Government, the National Institutes of Health (NIH) and the NIH Fogarty International Center with the theme, “Building Critical Mass and Sustaining Health Research Capacity in Ethiopia,” to highlight collaborative projects between Ohio State and its global partners, and to advocate for sustained investment for research and capacity building in the region.
The Fogarty International Center is dedicated to advancing the mission of the NIH by supporting and facilitating global health research conducted by U.S. and international investigators, building partnerships between health research institutions in the United States and abroad, and training the next generation of scientists to address global health needs. The objectives of the conference include:
- Highlight recent and active projects in Ethiopia pertinent to health capacity and share innovative impacts
- Discuss Ethiopian health research priorities and help advance the research system
- Showcase career path and current roles of affiliated post-graduate fellows
- Discuss the role research-training, capacity-building programs are playing in shaping innovation and impact in health in Ethiopia
- Advocate for sustained investment and creating a supportive policy environment in research and training capacity building in health in Ethiopia and regionally